RT Chuck Ledbetter – “Sometimes I wonder if the government is run by smart people who are just putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.” Mark Twain
Last weeks power-grab by President Obama and the Democrats is unprecedented. Even the European Union is taking notice calling it “one of the most astounding power grabs in modern history.” EUTimes.net also describes Obama as the most secretive in history. I hardly a year, Obama has led the American government in socialist style takeovers of the auto industry, banking, and mortgages.
I do not doubt that our healthcare system needs regulation and it needs realignment; perhaps massively so. When people use the emergency room as their primary source of medical care things are seriously out of whack.
A recent exchange on Facebook highlighted for me the desperation some people feel from their lack of medical insurance. A friend was giddy about the prospect of insurance and was offended by any criticism of “Obamacare.”
Here are two details for others that feel the same way.
• When you get something for “free,” someone else, like me, has to pay for it. This includes Obamacare.
• We cannot afford this. The Budget Office says it will only cost $960 Billion dollars over 10 years. That is net of the increased taxes, etc. BTW, this same office has missed every projection of this kind for 50 years. Sometimes by 10,000%.
In case you have not read the entire 1000+ pages of the bill, here is an analysis that has been floating around the Internet.
1. Page 16: If you change jobs no one can insure you but the Govt. It prohibits Insurance companies from writing new policies.
2. Page 22: Mandates audits of all employers that self-insure.
3. Page 29: Your health care will be rationed.
4. Page 30: A government committee will decide what treatments and benefits you get (and, unlike an insurer, there will be no appeals process)
5. Page 42: The “Health Choices Commissioner” will decide health benefits for you. You will have no choice. None.
6. Page 50: All non-US citizens, illegal or not, will be provided with free healthcare services.
7. Page 58: Every person will be issued a National ID Healthcard.
8. Page 59: The federal government will have direct, real-time access to all individual bank accounts for electronic funds transfer.
9. Page 65: Taxpayers will subsidize all union retiree and community organizer health plans (read: SEIU, UAW and ACORN)
10. Page 72: All private healthcare plans must conform to government rules to participate in a Healthcare Exchange.
11. Page 84: All private healthcare plans must participate in the Healthcare Exchange (i.e., total government control of private plans)
12. Page 91: Government mandates linguistic infrastructure for services; translation: illegal aliens
13. Page 95: The Government will pay ACORN and Americorps to sign up individuals for Government-run Health Care plan.
14. Page 102: Those eligible for Medicaid will be automatically enrolled: you have no choice in the matter.
15. Page 124: No company can sue the government for price-fixing. No “judicial review” is permitted against the government monopoly. Private insurers will be crushed.
16. Page 127: The government will set wages for doctors and healthcare workers.
17. Page 145: An employer MUST auto-enroll employees into the government-run public plan. No alternatives.
18. Page 126: Employers MUST pay healthcare bills for part-time employees AND their families.
19. Page 149: Any employer with a payroll of $400K or more, who does not offer the public option, pays an additional 2 08% tax on payroll
20. Page 150: Any employer with a payroll of $250K-400K or more, who does not offer the public option, pays a 2 to 6% tax on payroll
21. Page 167: Any individual who doesn’t have acceptable healthcare (according to the government) will be taxed 2.5% of income.
22. Page 170: Any NON-RESIDENT alien is exempt from individual taxes (Americans will pay for them).
23. Page 195: Officers and employees of Government Healthcare Bureaucracy will have access to ALL American financial and personal records.
24. Page 203: The tax imposed under this section shall not be treated as tax.” Yes, it really says that.
25. Page 239: Bill will reduce physician services for Medicaid. Seniors and the poor most affected.”
26. Page 241: Doctors: no matter what specialty you have, you’ll all be paid the same (thanks, AMA.)
27. Page 253: Government sets value of doctors’ time, their professional judgment, etc.
28. Page 265: Government mandates and controls productivity for private healthcare industries.
29. Page 268: Government regulates rental and purchase of power-driven wheelchairs.
30. Page 272: Cancer patients: welcome to the wonderful world of rationing.
31. Page 280: Hospitals will be penalized for what the government deems preventable re-admissions.
32. Page 298: Doctors: if you treat a patient during an initial admission that results in a readmission, you will be penalized by the government.
33. Page 317: Doctors: you are now prohibited for owning and investing in healthcare companies.
34. Page 318: Prohibition on hospital expansion. Hospitals cannot expand without government approval.
35. Page 321: Hospital expansion hinges on community” input: in other words, yet another payoff for ACORN.
36. Page 335: Government mandates establishment of outcome-based measures: i.e., rationing.
37. Page 341: Government has authority to disqualify Medicare Advantage Plans, HMOs, etc.
38. Page 354: Government will restrict enrollment of SPECIAL NEEDS individuals.
39. Page 425: Government will instruct and consult regarding living wills, durable powers of attorney, etc. Mandatory. Appears to lock in estate taxes ahead of time.
40. Page 425: Government provides approved list of end-of-life resources, guiding you in death.
41. Page 427: Government mandates program that orders end-of-life treatment; government dictates how your life ends.
42. Page 429: Advance Care Planning Consult will be used to dictate treatment as patient’s health deteriorates. This can include an ORDER for end-of-life plans. An ORDER from the GOVERNMENT.
43. Page 430: Government will decide what level of treatments you may have at end-of-life.
44. Page 472: Payments to Community-based organizations: more payoffs for ACORN.
Quotes from Thomas Jefferson –
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world.
Remarks by The Honorable Heather Wilson
Former Member of Congress
Convention Center, Albuquerque, New Mexico
March 5, 2010
It’s such a pleasure to be with you to celebrate this wonderful day in your lives. Let me be one of the first to welcome you as America’s newest citizens. Many Americans take this gift of citizenship for granted. Many of us are here because our forefathers, at some point, made the choice you just made.
We didn’t have to pass a test, or know the Constitution, or demonstrate that we can speak English. You’ve made a choice. You waited. You worked hard. You studied. And now, as someone told me at a previous nationalization ceremony, you get to have a second birthday: the day you became an American. And from now on, when someone asks you your nationality, you can smile and say those wonderful words, “I’m an American.”
Over 230 years ago, a sparsely populated collection of colonies on the edge of a vast continent embarked on an experiment in self-government that was not expected to succeed. Men and some women who had a great deal to lose pledged everything they had – their lives, their fortunes and their sacred honor – to secure liberty and prove that a people could govern themselves. Many of those men who signed the declaration of independence did lose their lives, and their fortunes, and their families to secure our liberty. But none of them – not one – ever turned their back on their pledge. They never lost their honor.
These founding Americans were some of the first to let go of their past in order to build a new future. You are some of the most recent.
You cannot offer friendship to tyrants and murderers … without advancing the cause of tyranny and murder.
Sen. Joseph McCarthy, R-Wis.
Sometimes even those that lose their way on important topics have something good to say that our country should remember.
“The trouble with Socialism is, sooner or later you run out of other people’s money.” Margaret Thatcher
“On some positions, Cowardice asks the question, “Is it safe?” Expediency asks the question, “Is it politic?” And Vanity comes along and asks the question, “Is it popular?” But Conscience asks the question “Is it right?” And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must do it because Conscience tells him it is right. ” Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.
Here’s your chance to let the media know where the people stand on our faith in God, as a nation. NBC is taking a poll on whether “In God We Trust” should stay on our American currency.
Please share your view and vote on this important subject. Perhaps you could pass it along to others as well.
Post your view in the comments after you vote.
In God We Trust: The History
The Treasury Department reports that the motto, “IN GOD WE TRUST,” was added to coins around the time of the Civil War and was associated with increased religious fervor. Salmon P. Chase was the Secretary of the Treasury and he received thousands of requests from believers suggesting that the country express devotion to God by adding this phrase to our money.
The first request came in a letter on November 13, 1861 by Rev. M. R. Watkinson of Ridleyville, Pennsylvania. In a letter dated November 20, 1861, Secretary Chase instructed the director of the Philadelphia mint insert the motto:
“Dear Sir: No nation can be strong except in the strength of God, or safe except in His defense. The trust of our people in God should be declared on our national coins. You will cause a device to be prepared without unnecessary delay with a motto expressing in the fewest and tersest words possible this national recognition. It was found that the Act of Congress dated January 18, 1837, prescribed the mottoes and devices that should be placed upon the coins of the United States.”
Pollock suggested “Our Trust Is In God,” “Our God And Our Country,” “God And Our Country,” and “God Our Trust.” Chase picked “In God We Trust.” The motto first appeared on our coins in 1864 and by 1909 it was included on most all coins. During the height of the cold war, on July 11, 1955, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed Public Law 140 making it mandatory that all coinage and paper currency display the motto.
In God We Trust: The Motto
The National Anthem is usually sung with only the first verse. The last stanza of the The Star-Spangled Banner, written by Francis Scott Key in 1814 and later adopted as the national anthem, contains a variation of the phrase which became our motto; “…And this be our motto: In God is our trust. And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave, O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.” The words were shortened to In God We Trust.
Urban Legends: Removing The Motto From Our Money
New US dollar coins are being designed without the motto, “In God We Trust.”
According to Snopes.com this legend is FALSE. The motto is inscribed on the edge of the coin but is not omitted.
President Thomas Jefferson wrote, “The God who gave us life gave us liberty at the same time” and asked ‘Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are of God?’”
The Bible says:
“It is better to trust the LORD than to put confidence in man” (Psalm 118:8).
“It is good for me to draw near to God: I have put my trust in the Lord GOD, that I may declare all thy works” (Psalm 73:28 NKJV).
It seemed as if the entire nation turned out for the inauguration of Barack Obama. After a hotly contested election, even some ardent conservatives have been swept up in the tide of enthusiasm. Commentators and pundits struggled for new and creative ways to say, “Historic.” Preceded by the standard array of parties and gatherings, accompanied by the pomp and pageantry befitting the office, at 12:05 today, Barack Obama completed the oath of office as President of the United States.
It was the speech I was looking forward to. President Obama is one the most gifted orators in our world today. He also has gifted speech writers and delivered a series of brilliant speeches on the campaign trail. I wondered if he would deliver at the Inauguration. Would he make the speech of a lifetime? A speech for the ages?
The President gets mixed reviews in my opinion.
The language was soaring but metaphors came so fast and so frequently the content suffered. The themes of humility, sacrifice and gratitude were welcome and heart-felt. While not everyone embraced the more somber Obama, the tone of the speech seemed befitting of the moment to me. One of his best moments was when he said:
What is required of us now is a new era of responsibility — a recognition, on the part of every American, that we have duties to ourselves, our nation and the world, duties that we do not grudgingly accept but rather seize gladly, firm in the knowledge that there is nothing so satisfying to the spirit, so defining of our character, than giving our all to a difficult task.
The enduring image of the day, for me, is not from the speech itself. It is the repeated image of a black man and his wife and children. A role model for young black men and young black families. A smart man. A hard working man. A man that can be respected and admired.
I did not support him in the campaign and I will oppose many of his policies and ideals. But Barack Obama is my President and I will pray for him, encourage him, and hope he delivers on the best of his promises.
Interesting linksHere are some interesting links for you! Enjoy your stay :)
- Double Standards
- Frontpage Article
- Media Bias
- Middle East
- New Mexico
- Quote of the Day
- Sarah Palin
- Top photos