Last weeks power-grab by President Obama and the Democrats is unprecedented. Even the European Union is taking notice calling it “one of the most astounding power grabs in modern history.” EUTimes.net also describes Obama as the most secretive in history. I hardly a year, Obama has led the American government in socialist style takeovers of the auto industry, banking, and mortgages.
I do not doubt that our healthcare system needs regulation and it needs realignment; perhaps massively so. When people use the emergency room as their primary source of medical care things are seriously out of whack.
A recent exchange on Facebook highlighted for me the desperation some people feel from their lack of medical insurance. A friend was giddy about the prospect of insurance and was offended by any criticism of “Obamacare.”
Here are two details for others that feel the same way.
• When you get something for “free,” someone else, like me, has to pay for it. This includes Obamacare.
• We cannot afford this. The Budget Office says it will only cost $960 Billion dollars over 10 years. That is net of the increased taxes, etc. BTW, this same office has missed every projection of this kind for 50 years. Sometimes by 10,000%.
In case you have not read the entire 1000+ pages of the bill, here is an analysis that has been floating around the Internet.
1. Page 16: If you change jobs no one can insure you but the Govt. It prohibits Insurance companies from writing new policies.
2. Page 22: Mandates audits of all employers that self-insure.
3. Page 29: Your health care will be rationed.
4. Page 30: A government committee will decide what treatments and benefits you get (and, unlike an insurer, there will be no appeals process)
5. Page 42: The “Health Choices Commissioner” will decide health benefits for you. You will have no choice. None.
6. Page 50: All non-US citizens, illegal or not, will be provided with free healthcare services.
7. Page 58: Every person will be issued a National ID Healthcard.
8. Page 59: The federal government will have direct, real-time access to all individual bank accounts for electronic funds transfer.
9. Page 65: Taxpayers will subsidize all union retiree and community organizer health plans (read: SEIU, UAW and ACORN)
10. Page 72: All private healthcare plans must conform to government rules to participate in a Healthcare Exchange.
11. Page 84: All private healthcare plans must participate in the Healthcare Exchange (i.e., total government control of private plans)
12. Page 91: Government mandates linguistic infrastructure for services; translation: illegal aliens
13. Page 95: The Government will pay ACORN and Americorps to sign up individuals for Government-run Health Care plan.
14. Page 102: Those eligible for Medicaid will be automatically enrolled: you have no choice in the matter.
15. Page 124: No company can sue the government for price-fixing. No “judicial review” is permitted against the government monopoly. Private insurers will be crushed.
16. Page 127: The government will set wages for doctors and healthcare workers.
17. Page 145: An employer MUST auto-enroll employees into the government-run public plan. No alternatives.
18. Page 126: Employers MUST pay healthcare bills for part-time employees AND their families.
19. Page 149: Any employer with a payroll of $400K or more, who does not offer the public option, pays an additional 2 08% tax on payroll
20. Page 150: Any employer with a payroll of $250K-400K or more, who does not offer the public option, pays a 2 to 6% tax on payroll
21. Page 167: Any individual who doesn’t have acceptable healthcare (according to the government) will be taxed 2.5% of income.
22. Page 170: Any NON-RESIDENT alien is exempt from individual taxes (Americans will pay for them).
23. Page 195: Officers and employees of Government Healthcare Bureaucracy will have access to ALL American financial and personal records.
24. Page 203: The tax imposed under this section shall not be treated as tax.” Yes, it really says that.
25. Page 239: Bill will reduce physician services for Medicaid. Seniors and the poor most affected.”
26. Page 241: Doctors: no matter what specialty you have, you’ll all be paid the same (thanks, AMA.)
27. Page 253: Government sets value of doctors’ time, their professional judgment, etc.
28. Page 265: Government mandates and controls productivity for private healthcare industries.
29. Page 268: Government regulates rental and purchase of power-driven wheelchairs.
30. Page 272: Cancer patients: welcome to the wonderful world of rationing.
31. Page 280: Hospitals will be penalized for what the government deems preventable re-admissions.
32. Page 298: Doctors: if you treat a patient during an initial admission that results in a readmission, you will be penalized by the government.
33. Page 317: Doctors: you are now prohibited for owning and investing in healthcare companies.
34. Page 318: Prohibition on hospital expansion. Hospitals cannot expand without government approval.
35. Page 321: Hospital expansion hinges on community” input: in other words, yet another payoff for ACORN.
36. Page 335: Government mandates establishment of outcome-based measures: i.e., rationing.
37. Page 341: Government has authority to disqualify Medicare Advantage Plans, HMOs, etc.
38. Page 354: Government will restrict enrollment of SPECIAL NEEDS individuals.
39. Page 425: Government will instruct and consult regarding living wills, durable powers of attorney, etc. Mandatory. Appears to lock in estate taxes ahead of time.
40. Page 425: Government provides approved list of end-of-life resources, guiding you in death.
41. Page 427: Government mandates program that orders end-of-life treatment; government dictates how your life ends.
42. Page 429: Advance Care Planning Consult will be used to dictate treatment as patient’s health deteriorates. This can include an ORDER for end-of-life plans. An ORDER from the GOVERNMENT.
43. Page 430: Government will decide what level of treatments you may have at end-of-life.
44. Page 472: Payments to Community-based organizations: more payoffs for ACORN.